- External PhD candidate, Cognitive Systems Group
University of Bamberg, Germany
- Master of Science in Autonomous Systems (2014)
Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences (BRSU), Germany.
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Science and Engineering (2006)
Cochin University of Science and Technology, India
- Senior Scientist
- Assistant Manager
"Behavioral Signal Processing: From Sensing to Recognizing Nonverbal Human Behavior using Pattern Analysis and Machine Learning Methods", Cluster of Excellence – Cognitive Interaction Technology, Bielefeld University, Winter Term 2019/2020 (Co-Teaching with Zeynep Demir, Developmental Psychologist)
- D. Seuss, A. Dieckmann, T. Hassan, J.-U. Garbas, J. H. Ellgring, M. Mortillaro and K. Scherer "Emotion Expression from Different Angles: A Video Database for Facial Expressions of Actors Shot by a Camera Array." 2019 8th International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII) 2019.
- K. Weitz, T. Hassan, U. Schmid and J. Garbas. "Deep-learned faces of pain and emotions: Elucidating the differences of facial expressions with the help of explainable AI methods." In F. Puente León and B. Zagar (Eds.) tm -- Technisches Messen 2019.
- S. Stange, H. Buschmeier, T. Hassan, C. Ritter and S. Kopp. "Towards Self-Explaining Social Robots: Verbal Explanation Strategies for a Needs-Based Architecture." In Proceedings of the AAMAS 2019 Workshop on Cognitive Architectures for HRI: Embodied Models of Situated Natural Language Interactions, Montréal, Canada, 2019.
- B. Mahesh, T. Hassan, E. Prassler and J. Garbas. "Requirements for a reference dataset for multimodal human
stress detection." Emotion Aware Workshop held in conjunction with PerCom 2019.
- P. Genc and T. Hassan. "Analysis of personality dependent differences in pupilary response and its relation to
stress recovery ability." Emotion Aware Workshop to be held in conjunction with PerCom 2019.
- T. Hassan, D. Seuss, A. Ernst and J. Garbas. "A Kalman filter with state constraints for model-based dynamic
facial Action Unit estimation." In T. Längle, F. Puente León and M. Heizmann (Eds.), Forum Bildverarbeitung
2018, KIT Scientific Publishing, Karlsruhe, 2018, pp. 315-326, doi: 10.5445/KSP/1000085290.
- K. Weitz, T. Hassan, U. Schmid and J. Garbas. "Towards explaining deep learning networks to distinguish
facial expressions of pain and emotions." In T. Längle, F. Puente León and M. Heizmann (Eds.), Forum
Bildverarbeitung 2018, KIT Scientific Publishing, Karlsruhe, 2018, pp. 197-208, doi: 10.5445/KSP/1000085290.
[Best Paper Award]
- Teena Chakkalayil Hassan. "Recognizing emotions conveyed through facial expressions." Department of Computer
Science, Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg - University of Applied Sciences, Sankt Augustin, Germany. Technical
report 04-2017. 2017. Available here.
- Teena Chakkalayil Hassan. "Taxonomy and technology mapping of mobility assistance systems." Department of
Computer Science, Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg - University of Applied Sciences, Sankt Augustin, Germany.
Technical Report 03-2017. 2017. Available here.
- Miriam Kunz, Dominik Seuss, Teena Hassan, Jens U. Garbas, Michael Siebers, Ute Schmid, Michael Schöberl
and Stefan Lautenbacher. "Problems of video-based pain detection in patients with dementia: A road map to an
interdisciplinary solution." In BMC Geriatrics, 2017.
- T. Hassan, D. Seuss, J. Wollenberg, J. Garbas and U. Schmid. "A practical approach to fuse shape and
appearance information in a Gaussian facial action estimation framework." In Gal A. Kaminka (Ed.), Proceedings
of 22nd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2016) including 9th International Conference on
Prestigious Applications of Artificial Intelligence (PAIS 2016), vol. 285, pp. 1812-1817, 2016.
- Mohan, Manesh V. and Devi, S. Anjana and Teena, C. H. and Abraham, Anu. "A method for minimum range
extension with improved accuracy in triangulation laser range finder." In Proceedings of the 1st International
Conference on Wireless Technologies for Humanitarian Relief, pp. 115-121, 2011.
- Dominik Seuss, Teena Chakkalayil Hassan, Johannes Wollenberg, Andreas Ernst, Jens-Uwe Garbas. US Patent No. 15486597 Determining facial parameters, 2017.
- Audience prize at FameLab 2019 Regional Heats in Bielefeld
- Member of the winning team of "Lean Startup Machine" pitch at BMW Summer School 2018
- Selection to Fraunhofer Young Research Class 2016
- Fraunhofer TALENTA start scholarship
- DAAD Prize 2014 for the best international student at BRSU
- Best master’s thesis of a female student 2014
- University first rank in B.Tech 2006
TOPIC GROUP MEMBERSHIP
SUMMER SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
- FameLab 2019 Bielefeld Regional Heats: Three-minutes long pitch on "Interaction Architecture for Social Robots" before general public.
- Workshop of NISR-TG at RO-MAN2017:Invited presentation together with Dr. Jens Garbas on Affective Sensing Technologies for Building Empathic Robots."
- Industrial session as part of SMART School 2016: Presented an overview of facial expression analysis research of the Intelligent Systems Group of Fraunhofer IIS during the industrial session at SoftBank Robotics Corp. in Paris.
- IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing
- German Conference on Artificial Intelligence (as Subreviewer)
- Cognitive Systems Research
- ACM International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents
- Nurzada Reina Henkel:Perception of multimodally communicated uncertainty in human-robot interaction (Title translated from German)
Bachelor's thesis submitted to Bielefeld University
Co-advised with Dr. Hendrik Buschmeier
- Katharina Weitz: Applying Explainable Artificial Intelligence for Deep Learning Networks to Decode Facial Expressions of Pain and Emotions
Master's thesis submitted to University of Bamberg
Co-advised with Prof. Dr. Ute Schmid
- Bhargavi Mahesh: Requirements Analysis for a Reference Database for Multimodal Human Stress Recognition
R&D project submitted to Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences
Co-advised with Prof. Dr. Erwin Prassler
- Johannes Rabold: Exploring Deep Learning for Image Data -- Effort and Performance For Learning a Classifier for Facial Expressions of Pain
Bachelor's thesis submitted to University of Bamberg
Co-advised with Prof. Dr. Ute Schmid and Dominik Seuss
- İlteber Ayvaci: Design and implement a simple facial analysis based human-robot interaction scenario using ROS framework on a robotic platform
Submitted to Department of Computer Science, Bilkent University, Turkey
Co-advised with Sebastian Hettenkofer and Johannes Wollenberg
- Ahmet Safa Öztürk: Monocular camera-based 3D head pose estimation
Submitted to Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bilkent University, Turkey
Co-advised with Sebastian Hettenkofer